Sunday, January 13, 2008

Poms and waffle


It's been a while since I attended a CD launch. I think the last one was Scooters Union at the Bat centre some years ago. Anyhow the South Jersey Pom Poms had a nice ring to it so I braved the Durban Beachfront by night and paid the twenty bucks to get in to the venue. The Blue Waters Hotel was an ideal setting for this mellow group of musos who hark back to a bygone era. There were a few tables and chairs and I was pleased to see the audience was for the most part a mature one ( I thought). After an hour or so the band ambled onto the stage and after a brief intro they launched into some of their songs. The Pom Poms are almost an acoustic band with singer Eva Jackson from the Francois Hardy singing school. No yelling or shouting. By now the audience had swelled considerably and many appeared to be there to chat and waffle to their mates. Some didn't even bother looking at the band but proceeded to catch up on all their festive antics. The sound system was no match for these waffle machines. At the first break I ran off into the steamy night clutching the CD I had bought on entering and popped it into my car system. What bliss as the smooth mellow sounds gently lulled me home. Still beats me that their fans could be so insensitive on this special occasion.

3 comments:

nasturtium.nat said...

Hey! What a great launch in terms of attendance, but ja - I was listening out for the James Bond song and couldn't hear a word they were singing the whole evening! I was probably one of those people chatting at some point, but for the most part I was enjoying their music. Good, refreshing sound for Durbs:-) Yay for the Poms!

Durban Diaries said...

Thanks "nat" Not sure who you are but glad you took time to read the Blog

Anonymous said...

Hi , I unfortunetly missed the launch but wanted to know if anyone knew where to pick a copy of the cd up. I caught them last year at the thunder road rock dinner and really enjoyed what i heard.