Thursday, October 15, 2009

And now for something completely Different



Today I took a ride on my old XT 250 to the Inanda Dam. My friend Budgie accompanied me on his trusty Chinese bike. Just as well as my GPS co ords told me to travel in the opposite direction. (and these were supplied to me by a pilot) We had come to see the opening of the "Worlds first Zero Carbon Home for AIDS orphans" A young couple from the UK decided to reinvent the wheel. The result is rather startling at first. A double story thatched hut using the finest materials powered by a wind turbine and solar heaters. Five AIDS orphans will soon take up residence here looked after by a house mother. They will taken to top schools by boat each day across the massive Inanda dam. A whole set of interesting dynamics could arise with the rest of the locals who will fend for themselves. Nonetheless this UK couple have put their money where their mouths are and have already adopted two of the thousands of orphans that South Africa has. Want to know more go to http://www.project-o.org/ Watch this space for a short video clip to follow.

No comments: